Sunday, August 31, 2008

College Football Season

It's a beautiful thing when the air gets a little cooler, the kids begin school, I don't have to mow my lawn EVERY week, and football season begins. Fall is an amazing time of the year and it all "kicked off" for me yesterday as I attended the BYU season opener yesterday. Sure the game was amazing as the Cougars rolled their opponent, but I would like to blog about the amazing experience the game provides to the high rollers.

Now I'm an important "big shot" at the bank so I get to do a lot of fun things in the name of entertaining clients. Yesterday's experience in Provo I got to watch the game the way the most elite cougar fans watch. Compliments of my brother (he got his bosses tickets) Dad, Jake, Becky Jo and I all went to the game a bit early and had the pre game dinner. The food was amazing! Not the, little hole in the wall best Chinese food ever, amazing. More like the little tiny roll with a small piece of meat and onion amazing. My favorite was the meat balls next to the BBQ sauce fountain. The food was good, but you could tell it was very EXPENSIVE. In fact one of the young starving students who was working for BYU Food Services was cutting the prime rib. I asked her, "is that a dull knife or is the mean just not very tender? Is it good?" Her reply "I don't know they don't let us eat it."

That's where I agree with BYU. By no means should the young struggling students be allowed to eat the same food that "WE" the high rollers in the Blue Zone should be allowed to eat. There is a class system that must be followed and those young undeserving students should not be allowed to blur the line between classes. It would have been nice though if she could have told if it was any good.

Not only did we get free food, but there were others there offering free bottled water and drinks that the regular fans have to pay $3 for. Also someone was there handing out ribbon wrapped LL Bean long sleeve Fleeces. Of course I took my fleece and left it in my assigned seat in the Blue Zone while I went out and watched the game.

It was the first time seeing a game in a seat rather than on the bleachers. The seats were incredible I sat right on the 46 yard line. Here's what I saw.



Of course at halftime we went back to our seat in the air conditioned Blue Zone and had some snacks. The snacks were more regular guy kind of snacks. Candy bars, cookies, drinks etc they were all really good. I was a bit hungry at the game because I had ran a race that morning and couldn't get full (1/2 marathon in 1:53 not to shabby for an old fat man).

The experience overshadowed the game as the opponent wasn't very good and the Cougs rolled over them. Next home game I'll go back to my regular bench seat and enjoy watching the game paying full price for my bottle of caffeine free diet sprite.

Good luck to the Cougs on their Quest For Perfection!

4 comments:

  1. I will confess that I too was at the BYU game along with Carla! I wish I had known you were all there. Of course we were not in the VIP section...ahem...but it was still a super fun experience. Took me back to the day. I was in Utah for just a couple of days to help Mckelle move into her dorm. The whole trip made me feel O-L-D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit disappointed that BYU catered so much to the rich. Seems money talks everywhere. Dad will never be the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun in the "lap of luxury." You must of been "living right" to get those seats;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up Cade! Sounds like a lot of fun. Looks like BYU pulled out a nail biter at WA. I do have to say, that you haven't fully experienced college football until you've seen it played on the blue turf. Go Broncos! Scott

    ReplyDelete