Sunday, October 29, 2017

Pioneer Day

July 24, Jill and the children got to celebrate Pioneer Day with the Bunkalls.  They went to Corwin and Judy's (along with Amy and her kids) for a big traditional breakfast and then had a water fight! Sadly I got to work and wasn't able to get in on the action.  Landon loved attacking grandpa!


Logan got in on the action.


Alyssa is always happy.


After the water fight they all went swimming at the Taylorsville Pool, also a tradition.   My mom and Shanel also go swimming at that pool on Pioneer Day, so everyone meets up and plays.  It's loads of fun, just like our pioneer ancestors would have wanted it. 

Tragically, one of my best friends and running partners, Nate Smith, and his family had announced they would be moving to Phoenix, Arizona.  The moving day was scheduled for the end of July.  Jill and I wanted to do something for them and put together a last minute hot dog roast in their honor.  We put out the invitation on the ward Facebook page, and had about fourteen families come for a hot dog and pot luck dinner to celebrate the amazing Smith family.  Nate is a terrific friend and I will miss him.  His wife, Gwen, is really great and a pillar in our ward.  Their son Ronald is one of Logan's friends and Logan cried when he heard they were going to move.  As the moving day approached, he told his group of friends, "Ronald, I hope you don't think less of me if I cry when you leave."  Then the other boys all chimed in saying they would probably cry too. We thought that was quite a touching story. 

I did think to grab a quick picture of the backyard party we had in honor of the Smith's.  We are really going to miss them. 


Later that night, we invited our friends to stay for a fireworks show.  I had bought fireworks at Costco.  They weren't too fancy, but it was a great way to end Pioneer Day.

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when good friends move away . . . those boys are darling!

    ReplyDelete