Sunday, November 26, 2017

Getting ready for middle school

One of my favorite runs is just north of San Francisco in an area called Muir Woods.  I travelled to Northern California for work, and was able to run it again.  It's kind of a long run (about 10 miles), but it's so beautiful.  Part of the run is through the redwood trees and they are incredible. Because of some road closures I ended up driving to Stinson Beach and then running backwards into Muir Woods.  It was really fun, but it was a bit cold and I worried about a storm blowing in.  Because of the clouds and storminess I didn't get the amazing views I have had before, but it was still a really cool run. Here is some of the moss growing on the trees. 


A redwood selfie.



It cleared up a bit as I headed back to Stinson Beach, but the views from the top of the mountain were blocked by clouds.  I took a different course to the Muir Woods and it ended up taking me 7 miles to get to the visitors center.  I got a quick drink but didn't want to run 14 miles so I ran back the steeper, shorter, harder route that was 5 miles, instead of retracing my steps for another 7 miles.


Dad was really nice and asked to take the boys out shooting.  They went to the Lee Kay center to shoot and the boys had a really fun time.  They both shot really well and enjoyed spending time with Grandpa, Grandma, and Hudson.



With just a week until school started, we thought it would be fun for Logan to host a going back to school party with some of the boys and girls from our neighborhood.  He invited all of the kids in our ward who were going into 7th grade at Oquirrh Hills Middle School, as well as some other friends from his 6th grade class.  He was really uncomfortable as we had him deliver invitations to the girls, but he got through it.  We had high hopes a party would help bridge the awkwardness of going into middle school.

The kids gathered in the backyard and played some games. They started with disc bash.  Then we put name tags of famous people on their backs and they had to ask each other yes/no questions to find out which famous person's name they had. We had various levels of success.  Some of the kids really had fun with it, but some others somehow just got the name from their friend so they could be done.  Junior High kids are funny.


We fed the kids dinner (hamburgers and hot dogs) and then the rest of the night they played other games.  The party turned out really well.  One girl, Sydney Rogers, came to the party and announced that she couldn't stay long because she had to leave early to babysit.  She was the last person to leave at about 9:30 p.m.!  We took that as a mark of success!  It took most of the kids a bit to warm up to each other, but by the end they were all playing fun games together and having a blast.  The first half of the night, Jill and I coordinated all of the activities, but by the end of the night they all just played by themselves with Jill and I visiting with their parents (when they arrived to pick them up).



It was a fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment