Just in case you've been living in a cave, I thought I would introduce you to the newest buzz word in the news lately. That word is Selective Reduction. This word was made popular with the announcement of octuplets that were born in California last week. The mother didn't want to be identified for obvious reasons. She has 6 children under the age of 7, and therein lie many ethical questions about the fashion in which she became pregnant.
As most of you know, Jill and I know a little something about in vitro fertilization. While going through this process we were all too familiar with the word "Selective Reduction". This means that when a woman is pregnant with multiple children, there is an argument that for the health of the mother and the children, some of the children should be aborted.
Abortion is a hot button that evokes strong feelings from both sides of the isle. Selective Reduction is a politically correct term for abortion. While many feel very strongly about a child's right to life, selective reduction can lead some to believe that it's not the same as abortion. Those people are wrong. Taking a child's life is wrong.
Of course placing 8 or more embryo's in a woman's uterus is horrible judgement. While aborting an unborn child is counter to God's will, it could also be argued that God's will was for that woman not to get pregnant. Science helps many couples become families, although there are other alternatives that should be thoughtfully and prayerfully considered before this step.
Each day there are babies born that need a loving father and mother. My running partner, at the time Jill and I considered in vitro, had adopted 8 children. On our long runs we had some amazing discussions about eternal families, and bringing the gospel to children who otherwise would not have had this blessing.
No doctor or woman in their right mind would even consider using 8 embryo's. In some cases for women older than 35, using 3 embryo's is a consideration. When those embryo's all take, these babies run the risk of serious health problems. Also the mother will spend her entire pregnancy on bed-rest.
I feel for all couples who struggle with infertility. This is a very private matter that should be looked at on all levels. It's a decision that should be made by a husband, a wife, a licensed infertility doctor, and God. Once the decision has been made it's not for anyone else to criticize that decision.
Responsibility is a word that has lost most of it's meaning in today's bailout world. It's too bad that it has also been neglected in this case of a California woman and her desire for children. With 14 children under the age of 7, no father in the picture, and no gainful employment, this story should be the poster child for the word irresponsible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have been shaking my head over this story and cannot figure out how in the WORLD a medical professional could have been party to this. Can you get 8 embryos implanted in a pseudo clinic, like a botox salon? I mean really.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad you explained the whole selective reduction thing. I wasn't quite sure what that term meant.
Great post!
Yeah, Cade, I'm with you!
ReplyDeleteThis is an unbelievable story - totally irresponsible. I don't know what the lady was thinking. Now it looks like she is wanting to profit off her story for millions of dollars. Good grief!
ReplyDeleteGood blog son.
ReplyDeleteIt makes you wonder how long it will be before the state takes them all away.
ReplyDelete