My distaste for big cities goes beyond not liking them. I really don't care for big cities at all. I don't like all the people and the difficulty of getting from point A to point B.
So I went downtown about a month ago to see a basketball game. Not just any game, but the Lakers V Jazz. Great game and the Jazz won! However when I got to my car to drive home, there was a parking ticket on my windshield. I HATE DOWNTOWN! As a side-note about a year ago I went to a Jazz V Laker game, got a parking ticket, and in my anger got a speeding ticket 5 minutes later!
This time I'd had enough and it's time to stand up for myself say, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"
I decided to take on City Hall! My infraction was parking to close to a fire hydrant. "Too close" is defined as 5 feet on either side of a line drawn from the fire hydrant to the curb.
Clearly the reason why parking isn't allowed is for the safety of the citizens. Emergency vehicles may need to access the hydrant and need that space for hoses.
It occurred to me that throughout the city, there are tons of legal parking spots in violation of this city code. "Wait, how is this so?", your asking yourself. Well, the way it works is if you PAY a PARKING MEETER then it's perfectly legal to violate the city parking code.
Hypocrisy, Double Standard, Greed. These are just a few of the words that describe this practice. I took my case to Salt Lake Cities hearing officer and she got so angry with my position we took a field trip outside the courtroom to see first hand a parking meeter within 2 feet of a hydrant! She got even more angry and told me I was guilty and would need to pay an additional $75 (nuisance fee) if I wanted to see a judge to present my case.
Let it be known that my youngest child gets his stubborn streak from his father. I would rather pay the extortion money and see a judge to state my case, than concede to the hearing officer (cashier).
Today was my day in court. I took my case to the city of Salt Lake City, and won! Clearly I need to take my fancy lawyering skills to the next level. I wonder if California needs help defending prop 8?
It was music to my ears to hear those beautiful words.... "Case Dismissed!"

You go, girl! Er...boy! I would've loved to have heard your presentation! Good for you! Im really impressed! Do I hear a move in the not too distant future?? Maybe law school??
ReplyDeleteCade, this makes me so happy to hear. I'm proud to be your cousin. Wish I was there. My sincere thanks to you for taking the time out of your busy life to maybe make life a little better for others.
ReplyDeleteAre you somehow going to show the first "cashier" that you won your case?!
Wow! Way to go! I'd have cowed at the first--the world needs fighters like you.
ReplyDeleteWay to go dear! I am so pleased that you won. I am also pleased that you stated so clearly that Landon gets his stubborn streak from you. I may be forced to bring that up from time to time!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear you won! You presented a stong argument and I'm glad to know that they saw you were right.
ReplyDeleteway to go cade! i think that is so great. you know jeff does not think too highly of lawyers and always admits he hasn't found one that he likes yet. i think he just might have found one! what do you charge per hour?!
ReplyDeleteFirst Salt Lake City, then the state of Utah, the the entire nation...Ridding our streets of corrupt policies and standards. Sounds superheroesk...you are the Man because you BEAT the man.
ReplyDeleteI think you should write a self help book.
Well done, Cade! My husband would be proud of you. I say that because A) he is a lawyer and B) he hates asinine rules more than anyone I know. The image of you actually taking the court clerk out to SEE the bad parking is an awesome one. I'm actually surprised that it made her mad.
ReplyDelete