A picture is worth a thousand words! In this case a video prevents a thousand words. For those who do not know when I was a boy my parents named me the "Mouth of the South." I thought it was because when I was 10 I liked WWF Wrestling and there was a joker who was named the Mouth of the South.
Come to find out I had the nickname first and the name was given to me because I used to talk a lot. By a lot I mean all the time. Well my boys have taken my talent and taken it to the next level. In fact my Dad said when referring to Logan, "you put in a nickel and get a buck 25."
This picture is my boys watching a movie. Jill and I wrestle with how much t.v. time the kids should get. We would rather teach them and have them engaged in good works. The trouble is when I have two boys that's a total of $2.50 and remember I only put in a dime.
When we put movies on, BOTH boys now will watch. I've waited for this day for 4 long years. It's so great not to have them asking questions in machine gun fashion. They don't fight, hit, argue, or put their hands on each other when a cartoon is on. I'm forced to ask myself, how can something we are told is so bad..... be so good?
Jill is such a wonderful, smart, patient mother she likes to spend time with them. But let the record show, on Wednesday nights when she has to go to church meetings, the boys will watch a lot of t.v.

Such sweet angels. The time they love to talk and ask questions and think you are so smart and know all the answers is so short. But a few minutes of quiet is also pretty therapeutic.
ReplyDeleteMy kids will watch movies, but if I'm anywhere NEAR them, they will still fire off non-stop questions.
ReplyDeleteBut haven't you found that for every minute they are quietly watching, they make up for it with 2 extra minutes of talking/jumping/spinning/dancing AFTER the movie?
I wish I were more like Jill. But I too, let my kids watch more TV than they should. I'm trying to train Maren to sit and watch a movie or a show - but it hasn't happened yet. But hopefully soon!
ReplyDeleteI think we all have pictures like this... I guiltily used TV as a babysitter--what a relief for those quiet times! Your post is FUNny; you're hiLARious!
ReplyDeleteOh, I feel SO much better knowing Aunt Judy used TV as a babysitter. Look how smart her kids turned out! Phew!
ReplyDeleteAs to the waiting--that is a looong time! I could hardly stand it that Ella was 2 1/2 and not watching TV quietly. But I finally convinced her. She has seen the light. So glad you've got a little free time on Wednesday nights!
I cherish the day when I see 6 little eyes just glossed over in hypnosis at the animation on the magic box. AAAHHH bliss.
ReplyDeleteI'm laughing over the fact that you were a non-stop talker when you were a younger person...I think that means there is hope yet for my son Clay!
ReplyDeleteA little TV never hurt anyone...I know that, but I do tend to freak if I think anyone in my house is watching it rather than doing something productive like their homework or piano practicing or the dishes or genealogy or planting a garden or visiting the sick and the afflicted...my poor kids.