The last month of her life she was living in a home where she could be cared for. She went in walking and up until only a few days ago she was walking on her own. When the doctor told her that she wouldn't be getting any better, Tuesday she announced she wouldn't be doing dialysis any longer, and Thursday she passed away.
Today I spent a few hours by her side although I'm not sure she knew I was there. I told Jill to visit as soon as possible, and with Jill, my kids, my father, and her other sons at her side she stopped breathing.
Reviewing the digital pictures I have of Grandma, I wanted to post them to remember her.
At Dad's retirement from the Highway Patrol.
Her 80th Birthday Party.
With her sister-in-law Arlene Bryant.With my family at her birthday celebration.
With her brother and sister Marge and Bud at her birthday party.
Holding her great granddaughter Alyssa Ellen Bryant.At Alyssa's blessing Grandma came to our house afterwards for dinner.
One of the visits to her house.
With her granddaughter JaKayla at one of Mom's elaborate Christmas dinners.
One of my favorite pictures of Grandma at Christmas with her great grandchildren from Ken Bryant
Another Christmas dinner.
Halloween
Holding Logan.
Joyce Marie Hortt Bryant was born in Las Vegas Nevada September 18, 1930. Her father was Dewey Arthur Hortt and mother Bessie Marie Bowler. Grandma was baptized October 2, 1938. Grandma had 5 sons Kenneth H, James Robert, Gary Ward, George H., and Michael H. however Jimmy passed away at only 3 months old.
I am the oldest of her grandchildren and have many memories of Grandma visiting us while we lived in St. George, visiting her almost every weekend when we lived in Wendover, and riding my bicycle to her house when I was a teenager. Grandma will always be remembered for her generosity. Each Christmas she would give her sons and married grandchildren a "Christmas box". It was literally a cardboard box that was always filled with an assortment of items including, ketchup, homemade mustard pickle, homemade chocolate confections (my favorite was a fudge like candy called pinoche), Avon chap-stick, a crocheted hot pad, and cookies. Everyone looked forward to getting a Christmas box.
For as many years as I knew Grandma and Grandpa they would listen to the weather on the news and they would write the high and the low temperature on their calendar. Somewhere she must have decades worth of calendars with the high and low written on each day.
Today the high was 59 and the low was 34. I'll miss you Grandma.





Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma, sounds like she was a great lady!
ReplyDeleteNice tribute Cade.
ReplyDeleteThat was really nice, thanks for sharing your memories!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! She definitely will be missed. We have so many great memories to remember her by though!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet tribute. I'm sorry for your family's loss. She was a lovely person.
ReplyDelete