It's been a long standing tradition to celebrate the deer hunt opening weekend by going up to our cabin for man camp. In recent years I have taken my boys and my dad and we have a terrific time.
Some years its 70 degrees, and other times like this trip, we get snow.
My boys love riding the 4 wheeler at the cabin. Wearing coats is something Mom would insist on, so of course at man camp coats were optional.
I know this picture looks like I photo shopped the boys in, but I promise this is authentic. We usually have a terrific view of Cedar Breaks from our deck, but because of the weather, you can't see the beautiful red rocks. Fall is a terrific time at our cabin, the leaves and colors are beautiful.
We spent a lot of time by the fire this trip. When we got into the cabin it was about 50 degrees, and after we got the stove going it warmed up to a cozy 75 degrees. Of course hot chocolate warmed up our insides.
We were able to visit with family from my dad's side who also go up on the opening of deer hunting weekend. We rode the ATV's up to the top of the property so we could walk down the fence line and drop the fence. By the time we got to the top, Landon was cold and wouldn't make the trip, so Logan and Dad dropped the fence from the top corner down to our cabin. Landon was cold and he reminded me that he doesn't like snow. After we warmed him up, he and I dropped the fence from our cabin down past Mike and Gary's.
We finished early and Ronald and I decided to drop the rest of the fence line from the other corner down through the "holler" and finish by the potato patch. The weather moved in again and we were wet and muddy by the time we finished. Thanks Dad for watching the boys while Ronald and I got the rest of the fence down.
The boys love man camp. They love riding 4 wheelers, drinking sugar drinks, eating chocolate muffins for breakfast... and lunch, peeing outside, and using words Grandpa taught them like "grumpy butt". After man camp we go back to normalcy and use the bathroom, eat healthy vegetables, and would never use words like "grumpy butt."
One of my favorite memories of this trip is watching for letters on the side of the mountain and thinking of words that start with the letter "P" (for Parowan). Even dad got involved and loved thinking of "P" words.
It was a short overnight trip but with the weather there wasn't much else we could do so it worked out well. I am already looking forward to man camp 2011.
This week Alyssa went to the doctor and came in at 26 inches long which is 95% of her height. She weighed 15 pounds which is 76% of her weight. She hated her shots and screamed and screamed when the doctor injected her.
The Bunkall family celebrated my birthday this Sunday. We had a delicious chicken and rice dinner with the Ritz cracker topping. For dessert Judy had gotten a coconut cream pie from Marie Calenders. It was delicious.
Family was sparse as Addison wasn't feeling well so the Roundy's weren't able to come, Brett was in California, and of course Dave and Jenn were in Omaha. Rob organized a fantastic birthday present, something I've wanted since Dave got one for his birthday in August. It's a 50 pound kettle bell! incorporating kettle bell lifting with my running, should help me burn those calories so I can loose the weight I need for the Ogden marathon.
The last big event of the week was my talk in sacrament meeting. I was assigned to speak on "Tender Mercies." It was the same subject I was assigned the last time I got to speak in church. My talk centered around moving into my new house and into the new ward and compared it to the "other ward" I moved from. Of course we only moved a few houses away so my schtick was talking about the "other ward", all the while meaning the very people I was talking too. Speaking is always a bit scary, but it seemed to go over well. Now I should have another couple years before I have to speak again.

Thanks for the invite to your blog! Your kids are so cute! It was so good to see you at the State Cross-Country meet!
ReplyDeleteAnd you didn't tell your mother you were speaking in church???
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a great talk! Wish I had been there. I like the beard. Very handsome!
ReplyDelete