It's no secret that Jill and I have really enjoyed living in Riverton. So much so that we bought our second home right here in this city. We love to be involved with community events, and Riverton fun runs are particularly fun for me.
Today was the 2nd annual Half Marathon. A year ago the wind was so fierce, and the temperature was so cold, it made for a miserable inaugural event. This year, while the weather was much more accommodating, I wasn't nearly as prepared.
My training runs have been okay, however last Saturday on a long run I rolled my ankle. It was the kind that turned my foot black and blue, and it swelled up pretty bad. I have been resting it all week including icing it to try and speed up the recovery.
Saturday came and while the foot was mostly okay, it wasn't 100%. I had to try to race, and I'm so glad I did. I was able to see so many good friends. 3 of my running buddies all ran, and I saw Steve Allen a terrific friend who coaches cross country at the new Stansbury high school.
After about 3 miles, it became clear this run wouldn't be a PR. My running buddies all ran ahead and I stayed back loping along. I decided that even though this wouldn't be my best run, I wanted to finish what I started.
My time is about 10 minutes slower than the 1/2 marathon I ran just 2 months ago in St. George. My official time was 1:58:28, it was quite disappointing. I could have quit and blamed my foot, but I thank God for my physical health to be able to run the race.
The boys were at a church activity searching for Easter Eggs, and didn't come to the race until I had just finished. It was so nice to have Jill and the boys come.
One of the songs I listened to was "I run to you" by Lady Antebellum. I listened to it twice I enjoyed it so much. I had known the song to be a pretty good one, but listening to it while running brought a deeper meaning. Music has such meaning and even though you've heard a song 100 times, in a new setting it can mean so much more. This was the case today with this song.
I run my life
Or is it running me
Run from my past
I run too fast
Or too slow it seems
While I've never been a particularly good running, it's something that I enjoy and it helps me focus, think, sleep, build friendships, keep off the weight from the cookies and ice cream I just ate, and tone my sexy legs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sorry I missed this year. I'll have to run it with you next year.
ReplyDeleteAaron
Glad you could finish.
ReplyDelete