Flash forward to Friday August 13, 2010. It began as most other days, I enjoyed a morning run, our family had a small breakfast before I left for work. As I walked out the door, Logan complained about some pain he was having. We'd kept an eye on it for a day or two, and because it was still hurting him I told Jill, "I guess you can take him to the doctor."
Little did I realize the gravity of what was about to unfold. While I was at work enjoying the casualness that seems to happen on Friday's, Jill called to tell me that the doctor was "concerned" about Logan and wanted to send him to Primary Children's Hospital.
I met up with Jill and the rest of the family a little after noon at the Urologist office. They turned us away because it was their lunch time, "Please return at 1:00 p.m. please." We waited for a few minutes at the door and when the boys were needing a diversion, we took a walk. We got back at 1:00 p.m. and there were 4 other families in front of us, so we took our place in line.
When we got in to see the doctor, she wanted to apply a numbing cream that would then allow her to use an injection that would reduce his swelling. Just applying the cream had Logan yelling and screaming and in tears because of the pain. 45 minutes later when it came time for the injection he was not his pleasant self. For 20 minutes of the doctor poking and prodding and Logan screamed in pain. It was after 20 minutes that I told the doctor in a rather firm voice that it was time to pursue another course of action. Logan was in more pain that I had ever seen, and it was my responsibility to hold him down while the doctor was hurting him. I told him how much I loved him and how it would all be better and how tomorrow he would feel better and could do whatever he wanted. I looked over my shoulder and Jill was crying as much as Logan was. One of the few things he said to me as the doctor stopped and he was able to compose himself was "Daddy today is a really bad day."
The cold hearted doctor with zero bedside manner, asked to step out of the room because she could tell I was going into protective "Father Bear" mode and she didn't want to be around if I snapped. "Most children are okay, but clearly he is an oversensitive child," she told us before she left. If someone was sticking a needle into my "business" I'm sure I would be even more upset than Logan. This woman is cold.
While out, she made a call to the other Urologist Dr. Snow, who we have met before and we really like. He was just coming out of surgery and agreed to operate on Logan before calling it a day.
We took him via wagon from the doctor office to the operating room, and Logan was in such pain he wouldn't even allow a sheet to cover him. As they prepped my poor traumatized boy for surgery, 2 high school kids came in to give him an IV. Neither "student" could find a vein which caused another few minutes of intense screaming because of the pain.
Dr. Snow took Logan, and the entire operating time was just over 30 minutes. We kept telling him that when he wakes up from his nap everything will be all better. Sure enough he woke up from surgery and was a whole new boy. Actually he was much like his former self. Logan drank the root beer slushy, chowed down some Jello, and even smiled.
After it was all said and done we left the hospital at about 7:00 p.m. that night.
When we got home, it wasn't long before Logan reminded us that "tomorrow I get to do anything I want." Considering the pain he was in, I can't believe he remembered that promise I made to him. Rather than tell him the truth, that those were just words that I used to try and calm him down, we decided to take him to go see the movie Despicable Me.
With visits from both Grandparents Logan is a new boy. He is so much happier.
I'm still not a superstitious kind of person, so next time Friday the 13th comes up I won't necessarily worry, but this week, this Friday the 13th, was particularly a "really bad day".




Poor little dude. Sounds like a horrible experience for Logan....it actually sounds like it was horrible for all of you. Glad he eventually got a good doctor that could correct the issue. Logan is such a good little dude, we're happy he is doing better and you were able to fulfill your promise to him.
ReplyDeleteAaron
That IS a terrible day!! Your poor little boy. Sounds just awful for Logan. I can't imagine how hard that would be for you and Jill as parents to see him hurting so much. Glad things are better now!
ReplyDeleteThis makes me cry for so many reasons. Been there, done that on all sides. And uhhh what is up with that doctor?? I kinda feel like if you're a doctor at a children's hospital, there is a certain level of kindness that is expected. I'm so sorry that he had to go through that. What ended up being the problem? has this happened before?? Tell Jill I'm sorry she had to watch all that. My heart goes to the mama, of course :)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! Dave said something about Logan last week but I had no idea it was like that! I'm so sorry. Poor Logan...I'm glad he is feeling better now.
ReplyDeleteWhat's up with the Miss Unfriendly Doctor at Primary Childrens? Seriously?! I'm a little in awe at the whole ordeal...but I'm glad he's feeling better!
ReplyDeleteCamille -logan was at the urologist, and I'm afraid if I elaborate further he would hold it against me when he's 12. Let me just say there was swelling and pain!
ReplyDeleteThis sent me into a fit of rage! I cannot stand it when doctors inflict pain (even if it's necessary) and then label the patient as "sensitive" if he/she reacts to it. I had a doctor tell me once during an excruciating in-office procedure involving draining a cyst with a needle that I must have a low tolerance for pain because tears were freely flowing from my eyes. I told him that I had birthed three children without any pain killers, thank you very much, and perhaps it was more about his technique than my pain tolerance. Ugh. I'm so glad Logan is recovered and you've put this horrifying experience behind you.
ReplyDelete