Monday night Jill heard from the surgeon and this tumor keeps getting bigger. A recap: Thursday it was 3 cm, then Friday it was 6 cm, now after an MRI it is 7 cm. Recommendations are that anything over 5 cm would merit a mastectomy. Dr. Lloyd gave Jill the contact for a plastic surgeon and we had an appointment scheduled for Tuesday at 7:45 p.m.
What kind of doctor schedules appointments that late at night? Dr. Self is a southern doctor who is very down to earth. Come to find out a little more than half his "customers" are seeing him for elective surgery so his hours are a bit more accommodating to the working woman. I can honestly tell you that I would never in a million years think that I would go to a plastic surgeon to talk about breast reconstruction with my wife.
Conversation was very frank, and it was hard not to giggle like I was in Jr. High School. He reviewed some options including taking tissue from the abdomen and placing it in the breast, and regular silicon replacement (like the actresses from Hollywood). Dr. Self was terrific and spent an hour with us explaining our options.
At this point the question is single or double mastectomy. If we wait to get the gene test it will seal the decision to have a double, however there is a strong argument to have a double mastectomy anyway.
The Roundy's are so nice they sent some flowers to Jill today which made her day.

I just read this to my mom and it made both of us cry. I am so sorry that she's having to go thru this. Please give her our best. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteI just got caught up on your blog....I do not have dry eyes, (wish I hadn't done mascara today) We love you guys, what a an amazing job of getting it all out in words for us to be a part of! You guys are an inspiration to us! You'll make it through this, I know, you are not alone! Prayers are answered! Thank YOU again, for your amazing faith, words, example and LOVE! You will always be in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteI can't even begin to imagine how you feel. I am just so thankful you are allowing us to be a part of this journey. We love you so much and you are in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou have such support and love from so many. We will all get through this hard time together.
ReplyDeleteI haven't looked at your blog in awhile and went to it tonight because I was wanting to see your new and improved kitchen...little did I know I was in for a big shock!!! This hit me so hard and I've been crying my eyes out reading through your last few posts. I am deeply sorry that your family is going through this. I don't even know what to say. I will keep Jill and your family in my prayers and hope and pray that everything will go well! What a scary and unexpected thing. Your family is strong and I know can make it through this. Please let me know if I can do anything to help!
ReplyDelete