The Pinewood Derby is a cultural phenomenon. It is so popular there is even a low budget movie based on the concept. Every boy loves the Pinewood Derby and the chance to build an awesome race car with his dad. In the end, boys usually lose patience after a couple of minutes and dads end up doing the best they can, just hoping that the boy doesn't come in last place. This year's derby was special for us, because Logan has already finished Cub Scouts, and this will be Landon's last year. After this, there will be no more derbys for me. It was sure nice to work on just one car rather than having the pressure of building two cars. It let me allow Landon to get more involved. He chose the design and wanted to paint it Broncos colors.
We weighted the car and did all the little tricks to make the car go fast.
When it came time to race, Landon held his own. He didn't win, but was right in the thick of things. I believe he came in 4th place. He was proud of his car and so was I. He did much of the work (with some fatherly guidance) and it was something he can be proud of.

This year General Conference was on Saturday, September 30th and Sunday, October 1st. The St. George marathon wasn't held until Saturday, October 7th, so I got to watch all of conference. It was nice to be with family and also nice not to have to rush back from St. George like I have the last couple of years.
Logan and I joined Grandpa and Uncle Brandon for the General Priesthood session. I didn't get any pictures of the traditional dinner at the Bunkall's before the meeting, but we enjoyed that, too. We love how the meetings lately have been closer to 1.5 hours, rather than the traditional 2 hours.
Sunday we met at Grandma's for a huge breakfast and watched conference together.
Later we watched the afternoon session at our house and did a puzzle. The kids also played their favorite conference bingo.
Jill got in some coloring time.
October is fun because for the boys' football, it's all about the color pink. They have pink socks and wear cool pink accessories. This year, I got a cool pink accessory, too. I may just leave it up for longer than the month of October.
Obviously breast cancer hits close to home for us. I asked Jill about what she thinks of all of the pomp and circumstance surrounding October and breast cancer. Her answer was insightful. She said, "breast cancer was a big part of my life and I am grateful for all of the help I received and answers to prayers we benefited from, but I don't want breast cancer to define me." Some people go "all in" on a cause that affects them, which is fine to have that as an outlet. I appreciate Jill's perspective about how this was a really big deal in her life, but she isn't going to have it be what defines her. Insightful.












No comments:
Post a Comment