Sunday, April 19, 2020

Logan's Football Party and Our 20 Mile Anniversary

It was a rough year for Logan's football team.  Logan still had a great season, but his team didn't have a lot of success on the field.  Injuries had the team down to about 14 players and it was tough keeping people healthy.  Thankfully, Logan stayed injury free and played almost every play of every game.  He continued to play on the offensive and defensive lines, but was also able to play tight end during a few of the last games.  During the last game of the season, he played tight end, went out for a pass and caught it, gaining seven yards.  That was a highlight!  He loved having the chance to play a different position and touch the ball.

Logan's football banquet was held at a fire station in Herriman.  He had a lot of fun hanging out one last time with his teammates.  His coaches were good to him and talked about what a hard worker he was on the team.  He says he wants to play high school football next year.  We are really proud of him! 





Sadly I missed the banquet because I was at a work convention in Louisville, Kentucky. We presented at a deck and remodeling show.  We got to eat nice dinners while we were out. 



November 9th,  Jill and I celebrated 19 years of marriage.  We have had some incredible years and despite a couple of small hiccups, it's been 100% amazing.  I couldn't have picked a better friend to celebrate so many years together.  I love Jill and can't wait to fill our next years of anniversaries together.

Becky Jo turned 40 this year on the 7th.  To celebrate she wanted to run 40 miles in one day.  The plan was to run four legs of 10 miles throughout the day with various people joining her to keep her company.  Jake mapped out some courses through the mountains of Provo and American Fork and he and Becky Jo decided the run would be on Saturday the 9th.  To keep her company, I planned to run the first 10 miles with her.  That way I could get back to spend the rest of the day with Jill.  We met at Jake's that morning and drove up American Fork Canyon.  There was a point he had mapped out that was 10 miles from Sundance Ski resort.  We would run up the canyon a couple of miles, then run down to Sundance.  Brooklyn and Shanel were going to run as well and Jake was going to ride on his bicycle.  The canyon was closed so we had the road to ourselves. Shanel and Brook were a bit back and Jake rode with them to make sure they knew where to go.  Becky is quite a runner, and I stayed with her to keep her company and keep her safe. The run started out going so well.



At the summit I took a picture of Becky Jo running strong.  It was here somewhere that we missed a turn.  We had no idea where we were supposed to go from here and our adventure got real.


We had been running uphill for 3-4 miles so we were excited to run downhill.  We got going pretty fast and kept on running. After about 6 miles running downhill nothing looked familiar.  Jake called us because they had arrived at Sundance.  I had parked my truck there and luckily I had given Jake my keys to cary.  We talked and decided that for us to run back wouldn't be a very good option. We were going to continue to follow the road to see where it would take us.  I stayed in touch with Jake and we kept looking at maps to see where we were and which direction would be best.  Thankfully, we had cell service for most of the time that we were running.

We arrived at some major road construction and the construction workers couldn't believe anyone was out there. The road had a huge trench, so we had to hike up the hill around the trench. The workers said we shouldn't be there, but offered no solutions.  We ran another mile or so and a truck with one of the workers came and told us we couldn't be on the road.  Again, he offered no solutions.  At Cascade Springs we took to a trail and left the road.


The trail was great and led us past some nice water features and gave our long road run some nice variation.  We ultimately got on a trail and kept going downhill as it changed from paved asphalt to dirt.  It had to lead to somewhere right?  Becky Jo remembered as a young girl that she did a trek activity on this trail. We continued downhill. Then we saw a lot of water and had to get our shoes wet running through this water.  There was no way around it.



Well we finally ran into a fence and it was a serious fence.  It was at least 8 feet high with barbed wire on top, along with a camera watching for intruders.  This wasn't Farmer Brown's fence, and we couldn't just cross and ask for forgiveness. There was no way over the fence so we had to bushwhack our way to an access road that ran around the entire property.  We had to cross a ravine on this log.


Then we had to follow this access road around this enormous fenced property.  Later, Jake told me it's Alan Ashton's property and there was no getting through it.  About now we were running low on energy.  We had planned on 10 miles and ended up going 20!  I did bring a bit of water and a waffle cookie, but it wasn't enough.  Becky and I rationed the water and split the waffle, but it was really dry and made me really thirsty.  You can see the peak over Becky Jo's shoulder and we had to follow this road to that peak.  We were getting really tired and weary.


We got to the top of that hill and found some hunters spotting the hillside.  They were really kind and gave us each a bottle of water.  They were on a UTVs and felt badly for us.


It took some time circling around that summit peak and when we got around we could see the base of Deer Creek Reservoir.  Jake agreed to meet us there. The hike/run up the mountain was rough, but going down was downright dangerous.  Tons of loose rocks caused us to slip most of the way down.


From that summit I realized that the flowers I had ordered for Jill were ready and the store would probably close by the time I would get home. I asked Jake to change my order from pickup to delivery.  He called the flower store and used my card to have the flowers delivered. 

Our reunion with Jake was great.  It meant we were at civilization again and despite feeling a bit worried and lost, we had finished 20 miles of Becky's goal and she was half way done. They had picked up my favorite drink of orange juice and a Rockstar.  It's such an amazing combination and it was kind of them to have it ready for me.  Becky Jo went on to run 20 more miles that day.  Her children, the Schows, and Shanel's family joined her for some of those miles.  Becky had a great attitude about being lost and we made analogies between this run and her life.  Her 40 years of life haven't always gone as planned.  She's had to make adjustments when things didn't go the way she'd planned, and deal with a few bumpy roads, just like on this run that day.  

Jill was happy with the flowers and was very kind to me considering I had spent a couple of hours longer than I had planned. 


We got to spend a little time together and decided to go to dinner at Olive Garden.  It was the site of our first date and even though we don't go there a lot, it is part of our lives together.  Dinner was nice and relaxing considering I ran so much.  I enjoyed sitting down and relaxing with Jill.


We finished the night in style. As the Stake Young Women's President, she had to chaperone the multi-stake dance. The theme was ugly sweaters.  It turned out to be kind of fun to watch the teenagers have fun together.  Happy 19 years of marriage Jill!  Our 20th will be amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment