Friday, April 10, 2020

Volleyball and Cottonwood Canyon Marathon

Serving as the Stake Young Women President means you get to do stake young women things.  Our stake holds a Harvest Fair each year and the young women are in charge of making cotton candy.  If you wait and only make it during the fair, it takes forever and there is a long line. So they pre-make most of the cotton candy and have fun doing it.  Jill recruited several young women from the stake to come and help.  Alyssa got to tag along and loved it.  They spent a few hours on Friday afternoon making cotton candy and then a few more hours during the fair on Saturday afternoon.  Jill had a great time getting to know some young women from our stake and also working with her new presidency.




Sunday dinner at Grandma's turned into a nice photo of the children playing on the swings. 


Alyssa has found her sport.  She loves volleyball!  She signed up and found she really likes it.  She plays at the Sorenson Center and her coach is really nice.  Her friend, Calli Chandler, is on her team, which is a lot of fun for Alyssa.  The girls are all learning, so when they return the ball it's a big deal.  She is loving it and has a lot of fun at her weekly practice and game.  I rekindled my love for volleyball and have been playing with the stake on Thursday evenings to get back into it.  



In an effort to train for the upcoming St. George marathon, many of my friends had signed up to run the Cottonwood Canyon marathon as a training run.  It's three weeks before St. George and very much downhill.  It would be fun they said.... and they convinced me to join them.  Kevin Yeager and I met at Salt Lake Community College to pick up our race packets. We got to sit in a gravity chair and have compression on our legs.  It was really cool. 






The race was a lot of fun.  It's close so we could drive in the early morning to Fort Union and then take the bus to the top of Guardsman's Pass.  We hung out for a bit and then the race started.  It was beautiful weather and the race was really nice.  It's fun to run along the canyon I know pretty well from skiing and other trips up the canyon.  I started with Ron Hada,  Kevin, and Norm Stevens, but we split apart as we got down to Brighton.  From there I ran a bit stronger, but not strong enough.  I had forgotten my watch and didn't know my splits. As it turned out, I was running quite a bit slower than I thought, which was odd since it's such a downhill course.  At the halfway mark I asked a woman running next to me for the time and it wasn't good.  I believe it was like 1:50.  I should have been much faster than that on this course.  

I really loved how they gave runners access to all of the pictures they took on the race.  I downloaded most of them. 










I finished in 3:47:10.  I was not very pleased; I would have thought I could have done better.  Oh well, it was a training run anyway and I was able to finish.  One of the challenges that I really didn't like about the course was that it sent us on an out and back when we arrived at the bottom of the canyon.  It was brutal. Then as we got back on the main road going toward Fort Union, runners were in the middle of the road with cars on both sides.  It's really annoying to have bumper to bumper traffic along both sides of you.  In the end, I finished ahead of most of my friends and at the end we were able to compare stories about how tough the course was.



 Bring on St. George!

No comments:

Post a Comment